Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Missing The Food In Armenia : Creating A Mini Armenian Feast



One thing that I absolutely loved about Armenia was this: the food! I came out with a recipe for Armenian inspired meatballs (see it HERE) awhile back. With that dish, I prepared other side dishes that I feel like is typical Armenian fare.
One thing I noticed every time we ate was that lavash + fresh herbs (usually coriander) + white cheese was always, always served! It doesn’t sound like a really complicated combination but it all just tasted so, so, good! I never failed to wolf it all down in every single meal. In case you didn’t know, lavash is a typical Armenian bread. We don’t have lavash here but I feel like it has a similar texture and taste as a toasted tortilla wrap so that is what I used. I also just used local white cheese (you ca also use feta cheese) and of course some fresh coriander.


Clockwise from top : Salad, couscous, meatball dishm yoghurt sauce, white cheese and fresh coriander, tortilla

The next side dish is a salad composed of cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, fresh coriander, salt and pepper. You can choose to put a simple vinaigrette all over it or just put a little bit of extra virgin olive oil. The small bowl in the middle holds a yogurt sauce that you put all over either the meatball dish or all over everything if you want to! This yogurt sauce tastes so amazing that I can’t believe that I only knew of this combination when I visited. It has the following ingredients:  Plain cream yoghurt plus salt and pepper, chopped up garlic and walnuts. It’s so amazing. Lastly, I have some couscous which I mixed with onions, tomatoes, coriander and a little bit of the white cheese. 

Close-up of the meatballs with couscous

You can see that each dish always has coriander - maybe that's why I love Armenian food so much. I am absolutely obsessed with this herb!

P.S. I always use the word 'cilantro' but in Armenia I wondered why the 'coriander' they served everywhere was exactly like the cilantro that I love so much. I did a little research and it turns out they are the exact same. It's just that in Europe and in the middle East and also places like Armenia, they refer to it as coriander. While in the US and Mexico, it's cilantro. Even if I'm used to saying cilantro, I decided to use coriander since this is an Armenian themed post!

No comments:

Post a Comment