Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Thoughtful Tuesday : Social Media and How So Many People are Using it in a Negative Way


Social Media is something that I absolutely love. And also kind of hate. I know it sounds contradicting as there shouldn’t be anything in between right? It’s either you love or hate something. Not both. But really, I think most people can agree and relate to this feeling. I have Facebook. I have Instagram. I even have Twitter. I love scrolling through these social channels every day, just to see what’s up, what’s new in the world , what’s new with my friends and etc. I also update all my accounts pretty often as I think it’s a great way to keep your friends and loved ones updated with life and also since I have my own business, a great way to engage with your customers.

Lately though I feel like going through my Facebook feed is starting to feel a little tiresome. What used to be a fun and informative experience (I say informative because I get so many alerts on latest news and happenings in the world as people share so many great articles from around the web) has become pretty tedious and annoying. Though I like seeing what everyone is up to, I’m starting to get annoyed already at the way some people project their lives and most importantly : how they project their opinions.

Now don’t get me wrong. There’s nothing bad about saying out loud what you think. There’s also nothing bad about having a belief, a set opinion and a set way of doing and thinking about things. I just dont’ like it when people believe that their so called “opinions” are the only way out there. What once used to be a calm and informative way of talking about one’s side  has now become a way to bash people, beliefs and other ways of thinking.  

There’s also nothing wrong in having a healthy debate and argument.  But remember in a debate one just doesn’t spout out words and theories and cases without research.  And also without using some sort of facts as your basis. In Social media – it seems everyone is just an expert on everything. Everyone has something to say about EVERYTHING. Whether it’s about a current issue in the world, an event happening or about other people – people ALWAYS have something to say. And I feel like a lot of these “opinions” are pretty baseless and most especially, very carelessly said. And that’s what is really annoying me lately. It seems that so many people just want to and HAS to give out their two cents on every issue in the world. Without thinking twice or without caring that they end up hurting or destroying other people. I’ve heard of stories about friends unfriending each other on Facebook just because they have different political views. People bringing down other people and leaving nasty comments publicly about said person. And also other people feasting and thriving on all the drama going on between other people. It all just sounds so horrible and sometimes making me want to quit the whole social media world. I really hate it when it’s being used in such a negative light!

I don’t know what the solution to all this is really – I mean I can’t exactly message every single person on my feed and say – Hey can we all just please be  nice to each other and just respect everyone else’ opinions? And also can you guys not be so careless in shouting out rants and raving publicly, especially if you know it’s meant to put other people down? Also to those who don’t post anything but still love to feast and gossip on all the drama, can you please stop and think what the consequences are? Feasting on drama and gossip is just as bad. I’m not saying that I’m a complete innocent and don’t gossip at all. I too am not impervious to it, I just keep it privately between my friends but even then I know it’s something that I should work on. Because there has been a time in my life when some gossip about me and other people were feasted on by people behind my back and that one incident years and years ago just made me realize how truly horrible gossip is. Harmless gossiping may sound okay but when it comes to the point where it destroys someone else and their reputation then you know that’s toxic. And you shouldn’t be doing it.

Maybe the one solution for me is to just quit social media altogether. Believe me, I’ve thought about it once or twice but with my line of work and business, I can’t. I just hope that people out there will be using social media in a more positive way and realize that using it in a negative way is so harmful not just to other people, but also to yourself and your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment