Monday, February 2, 2015

Armenian Inspired Meatballs


Last May, my family and I went to Armenia for our yearly vacation. Asides from the amazing and stunning scenery, the one thing I really loved was the food. It was sort of like a mixture of Mediterranean and middle eastern cuisine. Everything was fresh and delicious. There was one restaurant we ate in that had a really yummy meat dish with a tomato-carrot sauce. I do not know exactly what all the flavors were in it but I tried to recreate something similar. I decided making it into meatballs and researching some Armenian flavors and recipes online. I also used some spices that we had picked up at the local market there. 


Ingredients for the Meatballs: Pepper, Salt, Ground Coriander, Turmeric Powder, Saffron powder, oregano leaves, red onion, garlic and ground beef.



Ingredients for the Sauce: tomato sauce, pepper, salt, ground coriander, turmeric, ground saffron, paprika, pimientos, onion, garlic.

It is basically the same ingredients as the ground meat plus paprika and pimiento.


You also need some carrots for the sauce. (sorry, I forgot to include in the photo!)


Chop up the oregano leaves, onions and garlic. Together with all the spices mix it all up with the meat.


I added up more of the spices just to make sure the meat is flavorful.


Roll up the meat into balls and place in a baking dish.


Bake them for about 15 minutes. Flip them once after about twelve minutes.


Meanwhile,get started on the sauce. Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil. Cook the carrots first and then add in the pimientos.


Add in the tomato sauce and then put in all the spices. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste. Simmer the sauce for a few minutes and then turn off the heat. Cool it before the next step.


Once the sauce is cooled, puree it in a blender.


Once you reach it into this consistency bring it back to the pan to heat it up a bit.


Once the meatballs are done, serve it in a plate and pour the sauce all over it. Serve with some couscous and cilantro leaves on the side.


Enjoy!

What do you guys think?

Follow me On:
 Instagram: @celynps
Twitter: @celynPS
Pinterest: celynps
Visit my other blog: life is a shoe


All photos in this post are personal photos of styleandchocolates.blogspot.com. If you want to use them or borrow them in any way, please contact me first! My email add: celyn_lifeisashoe@yahoo.com. If you can't be bothered to send me an email and still want to use my photos, then please do credit them and link back to this blog. Thanks!

22 comments:

  1. Oh wauw this looks really delicious! :) I would love to try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi dear, i never tried it..but it seems so delicious
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds (and looks) so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! bookmarked! i'll have to make these! :)
    xx Sarah
    Russian Dressing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice idea for the post. Lovely photos!
    http://starlingdays.blogspot.com/2015/01/lush.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yum this looks so good! I love making my meat really flavourful as well, I usually pack burgers etc full of coriander and cumin, I just think they work so well together! Along with some tzatziki on top - basically my ideal meal! xx

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this looks so amazing!!!!! :)

    http://floralsandsmiles.blogspot.ca/
    twitter.com/floralandsmiles

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love meatballs so this recipe is great for me! Love discovering new dishes, looking forward to trying this!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow looking so yummy! I will have to try it sometime!

    xx
    www.mellowyellowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these look and sound delicious *u* Thank you for sharing this recipe!
    ~Kiyomi <3
    kokorosasa

    ReplyDelete
  11. seriously looks so delicious! need to try this recipe out

    http://heyprettything.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sauce looks amazing. Love the combination of spices.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing post,kisses,
    http://www.fashionismylifebyestefania.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all of the spices and flavors you are using. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. gruzja też może być świetną inspiracją kulinarną,bo ten naród ubóstwia jedzenie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm that looks yummy!
    Valentina

    http://www.mybubblyzone.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so amazing, making me so hungry, wish I could cook well ahha!

    Clothing Conscious // Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds amazing!!! I am definitely pinning this and want to make it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. it looks so yummy!
    http://www.karolinagespucci.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Never heard it before, but I want to try it someday!
    I wish I could cook too, hahaha!

    High Five!
    Born To Bite

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoa! These look pretty incredible! I'm always looking to recreate recipes from the places I've traveled, but I never collect notes or remember flavor profiles, so I'm awful at it. Which results in me eating Indian food every night (which isn't really a bad thing I suppose haha). Thanks for this recipe- I will definitely be making it in the near future!!!

    ReplyDelete