Monday, January 19, 2015

Sotanghon Pho


It's been pretty chilly in the tropics lately. It cannot be a more perfect time  to take a steaming hot pot of noodle soup! I decided to make my own version of a "pho" For those who don't know, pho is a Vietnamese type of noodle soup. I researched ways to make it and came up with a pretty simple, modified and easy version of it. I also used sotanghon (vermicelli) instead of the linguini shaped rice noodles used in the traditional ones. Read on to see how I made my version.




Ingredients : cilantro, green spring onions, kinchay (which is a chinese parsley/cilantro), soy sauce, fish sauce, calamansi (you could do with a lime too); ginger, chicken breast, sotanghon (which is basically vermicelli) and chicken stock (not in photo).


A closeup of the sotanghon/vermicelli.


Cut up the chicken breast into small chunks and saute in the pot with the fish and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste.


Once the chicken is cooked, pour in some chicken stock. Drop in some cut up ginger chunks and let simmer while preparing the other ingredients.


In a separate pot, cook the vermicelli for about 5 minutes or until noodles become soft.


Once the vermicelli is cooked, dump it in the chicken stock mixture. Chop all the greens and put it all in the soup. Squeeze some calamansi over everything. You may season the soup some more according to your taste. 


You can also serve more calamansi on the side in case some may want a more tangy taste to their soup.


You can also add more cilantro as you serve.



What do you guys think?

Follow me On:
 Instagram: @celynps
Twitter: @celynPS
Pinterest: lifeisashoe
Visit my other blog: life is a shoe


All photos in this post are personal photos of styleandchocolates.blogspot.com. If you want to use them or borrow them in any way, please contact me first! My email add: celyn_lifeisashoe@yahoo.com. If you can't be bothered to send me an email and still want to use my photos, then please do credit them and link back to this blog. Thanks!

13 comments:

  1. There's a Filipino variation of Sotanghon, it's yummy! I'm not sure how the Vietnamese dish tastes like but I bet it's delicious too.

    xx Janelle
    Styles & Prints

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pho! I am SO excited to make it at home! Thank you for sharing!!!

    xo,
    Jessica
    www.fortheloveofbubbly.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! this looks so delicious!! thank you for this informative tips dear! ♥

    New fun post on the blog sweetie!
    http://michaelmacalos.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good and simple to make! Thanks for sharing:)

    xx
    www.charltonlee.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sold me with the name of your blog alone! This recipe is so far outside of hubby's comfort zone that I don't know if he'll go for it but it does look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm looks delish! Xx
    Http://www.littleprettymess.com
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/7279767/littleprettymess
    Instagram: @littleprettymess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum those look so delicious! I'm so in love with those clear noodles! I definitely want to try this!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeat Soles

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks simple and delicious! Making for dinner this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made beef pho 2 nights ago! Haha! It's one of my favourite dish, so healthy and yummy!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always wanted to try making pho! This looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete