Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Eggplant Dip

I've been wanting to make a version of this eggplant dip ever since I saw it on one of my favorite cooking shows, Barefoot Contessa. I  stalled making it and finally one day I decided to go and try preparing it already. So I went and checked out the ingredients. The recipe calls for something called "tahine". Tahine is actually a kind of sesame paste. Living in an Asian country, I thought that I could just find it easily in grocery stores but alas, they were nowhere to be found! I finally decided that the closest thing I could do was to substitute with this really good Japanese Roasted Sesame dressing that my family is obsessed with. I also changed around some ingredients and added and omitted some based on how other eggplant dips are made. Read on to see how I made mine.


Ingredients: Roasted Sesame dressing, Salt, Pepper, Olive Oil



Ingredients: Feta Cheese, Olives, Sundried Tomatoes in Oil, Garlic

Ingredients: Eggplant, Calamansi (not pictured)

Brush egglant with olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper

Bake the eggplants for about 10 to 15 minutes

Get the rest of the  ingredients ready: mince garlic, chop up feta cheese, olives and sun dried tomatoes

In case you are wondering what that tiny green fruit is, that is the calamansi. It's like a tiny version of the lime

Once eggplants are done baking, chop them up for easier blending

In a blender or food processor, put all the ingredients in except for the olive oil
                                                         
Pulse all ingredients together then do a long slow blend. While slowly blending, pour in the olive oil slowly into the small hole on top

Continue blending until it reaches this consistency.

Toast up some bread or pita chips and they are ready to eat!


I find this really good, I mean you can't really go wrong with eggplants mixed in with those delicious ingredients like sundried tomatoes and feta cheese! One thing I learned while making this recipe though is that it's sometimes better if you peel the eggplants, as the skin can be tough and might be hard to blend. If you don't peel then it's fine, the dip will just be a little bit chunkier than it should be.

What do you guys think? Is eggplant your thing?

All photos in this post are personal photos of styleandchocolates.blogspot.com. If you want to use them or borrow them in any way, please contact me first! My email : celyn_lifeisashoe@yahoo.com. If you can't be bothered to send me an email and still want to use my photos, then please do credit them and link back to this blog. Thanks!


Follow me On:
 instagram: celynps
Twitter: celynPS
Pinterest: c_lifeisashoe

8 comments:

  1. Now I know what to do with the eggplant in my fridge :) Thanks a lot!

    And thank you for your nice comment on my blog - I checked immediately your blog with the result: I like it!

    I would like to follow you on gfc and/or bloglovin. It´ll be great if you come return to my blog to follow me – then I will follow you immediately back.

    xx from Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look so tasty! :)
    xx Ilka
    http://ilkavontorok.blogspot.ro/

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom makes this! Haha. We usually spread it over rice. So good!

    www.rougefox.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never knew that we can make egg plant dip.... :)

    nice post....
    would you like to follow each other on bloglovin and GFC...!!!
    keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha!! What a great idea.... Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I have to be honest that I'm not really a big fan of eggplant. But it's been a long time since I last tried it. Maybe I should try again. This dip looks yummy.

    Lauren
    Style of One's Own

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice idea :)

    the STYLE Fringe BLOG
    http://the-stylefringe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete