Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Eggplant Parmigiana

I am so totally loving Eggplant Parmigiana! I have been researching and watching YouTube videos for recipes and I finally had the courage to make some! Eggplant Parmigiana is pretty easy to make, it's all about layering eggplants tomato sauce and lots and looots of cheese. Though it is simple, it does take quite a long time to finish but in the end it is so totally worth it! Read on to see how I made mine :)

Ingredients: Dried Thyme, tomato sauce, grated parmesan cheese, eggplants, chopped up parsley,
 fresh regano, onions, garlic, fresh tmatoes and a mixture of
grated cheese (usually mozarrella or moterey jack with cheddar cheese)



Eggplants have a lot of excess water so you have to drain them first.
I places them all in a mesh sifter and salted them.

I then weighed them down with heavier paraphernalia
so that all the liquid drains out.

While the eggplants are busy draining, I sauteed onions and garlic in olive oil.

I add the tomatoes in the garlic and onions and saute them too.
I let the tomatoes soften for a few minutes.

Once tomatoes are soft, I added the tomato sauce.

Throw in all the herbs and let this whole mixture bubble away for a few minutes
to ensure that all flavors are infused before turning the heat off.

In a separate frying pan, fry the eggplants, about 3 minutes per side.
Drain in paper towels to get rid of the excess oil.

After frying all the eggplants, I made an assembly line for layering.

First you put the tomato sauce mixture at the bottom of the pan.
Then layer it with egplants. after that rpinkle all the cheeses over the eggplant.
Repeat over and over with the same order until you fill up the baking dish: tomato sauce, eggplant and cheese.
The last layer should be the sauce and cheese. Put in oven and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes.

After baking, take it out of oven and serve.

Voila! What do you think of this recipe? For my version, I made the tomato sauce mixture with more ingredients thus adding more cooking time to this recipe. I know it will be a lot simpler if you use store-bought marinara sauce and there is absolutely no problem if you do that, but I find sauteing fresh tomatoes in garlic and onions then adding tomato sauce and herbs yourself makes the dish taste a bit more special.

Another tip to this recipe: Frying the eggplants actually takes a looooot of time plus there is so much oil and grease involved. To save time and electricity (and cooking oil!) you can just brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and bake them for a few minutes. You can do it all at once and It will be healthier! As long as the eggplants are cooked then it should be fine.

Have you guys tried making this classic dish? how did you guys make yours?


All photos in this post are personal photos of styleandchocolates.blogspot.com. If you want to use them or borrow them in any way, please contact me first! My email : celyn_lifeisashoe@yahoo.com. If you can't be bothered to send me an email and still want to use my photos, then please do credit them ad link back to this blog. Thanks!


28 comments:

  1. i loooved your dish :) can't wait to have it again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggplant Parm is such a yummy meal, but I've only had it at restaurants. It's nice that you can make it yourself.

    Oh to Be a Muse
    Shop Layered Muse

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy! Definitely one of my fave dishes....though I've yet to try making it myself. Must! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy! It's one of my fave dishes but I've yet to try making it. Must! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo yum, this is something I love eating myself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your nice comment!:)
    Your dish looks amazing!! I think I just got hungry.

    Have a wonderful day,
    allthatglittersnotgold.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice!!!!!!!!!
    http://tecuentomistrucos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, looks delicious <3

    xoxo
    www.its-dash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked your blog. Will be eagerly waiting for more.

    My Blog :- Nature Health Secrets

    And will love to hear from you. I am a new follower of yours

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your comment !!
    mmm my god this dish looks so great to eat !!

    xx Inès

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG looks delicious
    thanks for the dish
    xx
    Dani
    www.silence-mute.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks so yummy! i want to try it out! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it looks delicious! gonna try to do it next time! <3

    http://fashiondity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so good!!!!
    Kisses
    Ylenia

    www.wallofstyleblog.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg that looks so yummy! i wanna try it :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never purchased an eggplant as they intimidate me! But this looks doable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Se ve muy deliciosa y la salsa está estupenda,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks so delicious and filling!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so yummy. I will try to make it for sure!
    Best Regards
    Miss Margaret Cruzemark
    http://margaretcruzemark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks delicious! I've never tried it before, but it does look good! Hopefully you might like my blog too! :D :D

    www.raindropsofsapphire.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eggplant is my fav but have not tried the parmigiana. That said, this should be another eggplant dish we will adore. Lovely flavors and marked for our weekend meals.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks great, need to try cooking it myself :) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness. This goes to my bookmark list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah, eggplant parmesan is one of my all-time favourite dishes! This looks incredible- thanks for sharing! xo

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete