Monday, March 4, 2013

Roasted Vegetables

I'm not a great cook and I'm not even claiming to be a good cook. In fact 5 years ago, I actually had no clue how to work a stove. All that changed when I actually lived on my own in another country and started watching food network. Watching the cooking shows got me so enthralled with cooking that i'm actually admitting that without these shows, I wouldn't be as passionate of cooking as I am now. (of course, one other reason I love cooking is the eating part, haha but we can talk about that in another post)

My favorite chefs/cooks are Barefoot Contessa (a.k.a. Ina Garten) and Giada de Laurentis. They both make really good looking food and make it look so simple! They really inspire me to cook and every time I watch an episode from either of them I end up taking down the recipe and promising myself I would cook their dish!

Well, I' not saying that I've tried cooking ALL of their dishes, but here is one simple one that the Barefoot always does: roasted vegetables!



I've seen countless episodes of Ina Garten making this, and it's actually quite simple really. It is basically chopping up all of the vegetables you want to eat, drizzling it with olive oil, putting salt and pepper then putting it in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes! It's really tasty!

So Here are the ingredients of the one I made recently:


Salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil (not pictured sorry! :o)


Assorted vegetables that I chopped up. I used: Broccoli, carrots, squash and sweet potatoes. You can also use normal potaotes, tomatoes and zucchini. Wait sorry, I think I did add Zucchini to this batch! Teehee.

I then chopped up the garlic, sprinkled it all over the veggies. Drizzled it all with olive, shook some salt and pepper then mixed everything up. I baked it in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes.


After 30 minutes, I just check from time to time if they are cooked, sometimes I take out a piece to taste it! But generally, if they have started to soften and brown a bit, then they are cooked and ready to serve!


Additional tasty tip: If you can, add in some chopped rosemary. It will make the vegetables fragrant and taste sooooo good! It will also make the taste go a long way especially if you decide to use the leftovers in this dish to turn into soup!

I actually used to hate veggies. I'm a certified meat lover but lately I've been discovering ways to actually like vegetables, just by their style of cooking. Just like this dish, I think it can turn any veggie hater (like me) into a lover!

I do hope you try this dish, not just because it's so tasty and easy to make, but because we all need healthy food in our system! I have been meaning to try making this dish the last few months but its only now that I did. I wish I did it sooner! Go and make it now!


All photos in this post are personal photos of styleandchocolates.blogspot.co. If you want to use them or borrow them in any way, please contact me first! My email : celyn_lifeisashoe@yahoo.com . Thanks!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting in my blog! I love cooking too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am vegetarian so I like recipes like that. Nice post and I like that pics. Have a great monday.

    http://www.fashiondenis.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting tips!
    A great start of the week,
    kiss,
    www.detailsdestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. buon inizio settimana (: Reb, xoxo.

    *Ho appena pubblicato un post dedicato a una
    mia intervista, fammi sapere cosa ne pensi:
    http://www.toprebel.com/2013/03/intervista-televisiva-la-mia-generazione_4.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. love roasted vegetables !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chopped rosemary sounds amazing with it, definitely need to try making this, looks lovely!

    A little bit Unique

    x


    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good! Love the feet reflecting in the glass :)

    How about following each other? Let me know on my blog!

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy!!

    xo

    http://yosivoyalamoda.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm on diet ...maybe i should try them :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this vegetables and also your blog! It's so nice!!! I follow you!
    Pass to my blog and if it likes you follow me too, I will be so glad :D
    Kisses
    http://francescagiusti.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete